Friday, May 17, 2013

The Appalachian Trail Blog

We are hiking the entire Appalachian Trail in 2014. That is, my wife Christine, and I. We are not trying to hike the trail. We are not attempting to hike the trail. We won't stop when we get tired of it. We won't stop if we begin to feel we are not getting anything from it anymore. We are going to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail from the beginning of Springer Mountain in Georgia to the end of Mount Katahdin in Maine, and all 2,100+ miles in between.   

Easier said (or written) than done. Six months walking through the wilderness is not easy, especially for the sedentary generation of web-surfers and TV-watchers of which we are part. However, the physical challenge is only part of it all. I believe the most difficult part of any challenge is the mental and emotional part. That is, with the right mindset, one can accomplish anything even without prowess in other areas. This is something I have learned very well in the Marine Corps Reserve as I saw bigger and stronger guys fall out of hikes when smaller and weaker guys held out. Being physically fit makes it easier for the will to continue, but a strong will will go on much longer than a strong body will. 

For this reason I was drawn to read the book called Appalachian Trials by Zach Davis which had the compelling tagline, "A psychological and emotional guide to successfully thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail." My wife and I have both read it, along with many other books we could get our hands on about the Appalachian Trail and backpacking. One of the first exercises Davis suggests is to create a list of why one is thru-hiking the Trail so that when the tough times come (and come they will), I can pull it out and read it. When reading, it will help to remember why I have wanted to do this for so long and how many of the reasons can only be fulfilled through the tough times. 


This blog will be part of the trek, and I will write through it all, from this planning and logistics phase, through the hike itself, and the post-trail effects and life. I will be getting a smartphone so that I can blog along the Trail when stopped in towns for resupply. We have ten months before we hit the trail and there is still plenty to accomplish, from selecting and purchasing gear to becoming more physically fit and embarking on practice hikes and practicing camping. 

Here are my reasons for thru-hiking the Trail:

- To spend a significant amount of time away from many of the conveniences of the modern day.

- To connect with God in an environment of seclusion.

- To conquer something physically, emotionally, and mentally challenging.

- To become physically stronger.

- To be away from the irksome obligations of paying bills, keeping schedules, etc.

- To become close to God; to awaken my spiritual side.

- To have a time away from many of the temptations and distractions in my current life.

- To get away from the many apathy-creating and life-destroying ways of life that hallmark today's standard living.

- To have an adventure that so well exemplifies the reasons God graciously bestows me with life: to become surrounded by and a part of His glory, beauty, and power.

Stay tuned for blog posts about lightweight backpacking gear, tips on how we have successfully been able to save money, the dreaded Lyme disease and much, much more! 


1 comment:

  1. Adam,

    This is great! I'll have to mail you a book about ultralight backpacking. You probably won't want to be as extreme as they are in the book, but you could definitely pick up some helpful tips!

    I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete